Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Steppin' Out With My Baby!

We're still here on vacation but I wanted to share some fun news...Lucy took her first steps alone today! It happened this evening and we're still in shock. I've always known that she would walk before 12 months, for some reason I just "knew." Maybe that's because she's been trying to run, quite literally, for a couple months already. The crawling thing threw me for a loop so I thought maybe she would just crawl for a little while and walk around 11-12 months. Just yesterday I asked G.I. Joe, "When do you think she'll take her first steps?" He said, "Probably when we go to Disney."

Haha...my response to him was, "No way. It will be sooner than that!" But I had no idea how soon!

The way it happened was pretty cute. I was sitting at the table eating dinner since Daddy had already finished his and was playing with Lucy. She was standing in front of the sofa and he was laying the floor next to her. I turned away from them to take a bite but still saw her move out of the corner of my eye. I couldn't see G.I. Joe's hands so I assumed he was holding her, even if it was lightly. He started freaking out saying, "Babe! Did you see that?!" She had turned and walked right to him all on her own.

I could not help but tear up for a number of reasons. For one, my baby is growing up...fast. She's now crawling, taking steps, and saying new words all the time. Her latest words are fishy, and touch. I guess she got the "touch" one from me always saying "Touch Mommy's finger." (She loves pointing now so touching fingers is our special Mommy-Lucy "I love you" thing.) But the biggest reason the moment got the best of me is because it was all G.I. Joe's. I so wish I would have been looking or had been the one she walked to but he has earned this moment with her. When she was born, he was gone. When she sat up on her own for the first time, he was gone. When she rolled over, said her first word, and started crawling...he was somewhere else. I've been having all these amazing experiences with her and he says that doesn't bother him but I know it does every now and then.

One thing Lucy can be heard saying a lot is "My Momma!" I know what you are already thinking, "Spoiled only child!" But its not a selfish tone. She constantly hears me calling her "my baby" and she put it together that I am her Momma. No one else's Momma. What we have is special. Lucy just likes people to know that. She will say "Da-da!" but it isn't quite the same as "My Momma." Nor does it come up as often, which makes me feel so guilty about the things her and I have shared together that he missed.

Even if tonight was just a fluke and she doesn't take any more steps for another month or two, no one can take that moment away from G.I. Joe. It was all Daddy tonight for Lucy's first steps, and Mommy couldn't be happier.

5 comments:

All About Aleigha said...

That's great...way to go Lucy. And glad Michael finally got his first. That must be so special.

Madison said...

Go Lucy! Our babies will be asking for the car keys before we know it.

Jacqueline said...

Oh I know! That's such a scary thought. I started getting choked up last night because I was reading Lucy a book about Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School. LOL...I don't even want to think about the teenage years. I'm such a mess. :)

Theta Mom said...

Nice to "meet" you Jacqueline! Oh, those first steps!!! Some of the greatest momemnts, right?! Thanks so much for checking out my blog. I'm following you back! You're blog is so adorable and and some of those black and white photos are AMAZING! Looking forward to reading more from you! :)

Jacqueline said...

Thank you for following! And, I'm sure it doesn't take long to figure out...I love taking pictures of my Lucy!