Monday, July 6, 2009

For everything else...


"Mommy, dis monkey is so funny!"


Cost of zoo admission for one adult: $10.50


"Dats a BIG giraffe, Mommy!"





Souveniers from Safari Gift Shop: $17.95


Having an adventure with Lucy... Priceless


Lucy and I had quite an adventure on Friday. We had planned on a big fun day spent going to the zoo for the first time. There we would meet up with two of my friends and their daughters. Well, for Lucy and I the day got off to a rocky start. Leaving the house late and having to pull over three times along the way made us an hour late. Lucy hates riding in the car with me driving up front and I should have considered that a little more. I think the fact that she can hear my voice but can't see me weirds her out a bit. So, multiple pit stops and meltdowns later, we made it to the zoo. Once we pulled in something dawned on me...its Friday before a holiday weekend. Everyone was taking their kids to the zoo. We parked at the end of the lot but spaces around us filled up fast. One thing I should mention at this point is that I didn't have my cell phone with me so I couldn't call our friends to say I was late. But I did have G.I. Joe's phone which I thought was on vibrate. While I trying to get Lucy strapped into her stroller (still trying to salvage the trip out there) his phone started ringing loudly. Kids and parents both stared holes through me. In true soldier fashion, G.I. Joe's ring tone is the sound of a machine gun. Blushing like crazy I fumbled around to turn the phone off. That was all before we got into the zoo!

The rest of our trip was hot, crowded...and wet. To keep Lucy happy and occupied while we looked around for our friends I gave her a sippy cup filled with water. I didn't realize when I put the cup together that morning that the valve which makes the cup spill proof wasn't put on. After bouncing up and down the hilly terrain Lucy was soaked from her collar bone to her knees. The only outfit we had with us that day for her was now soaking wet. During our laps around the place we looked at monkeys, zebras, giraffes, and penguins. We had seen everything and I was tired of all the rude people there knocking into us so we left an hour after we got there. Back at the car I realized there was no way she could ride home in her "bathing suit." Lucky for us I layered two tank tops on myself that morning. Baby girl got to ride home, and meet Daddy, Granny and Granddad for lunch, in Mommy's shirt.

All in all the day was hysterical. By the end of it I was beyond tired but it was still worth it. We both got some laughs out of it. Lucy thought the monkeys were so entertaining, and she seemed to love wearing the dress that my shirt was on her. I did learn some valuable lessons that day. 1-Never go ANYWHERE without a change of clothes, for me or her. 2-Avoid places like the zoo when working Mommies and Daddies are probably off. 3-Just because you have a stroller, or other kids walking, doesn't give you the right to be rude. I can't tell you how upsetting it was to see parents just stand back and allow their kids to cut in front of us or all but run us off the path. Lucy wasn't able to see the giraffes much because one family actually said "Oh she's just a baby, go stand up there in front of her!" I don't want to ever set that kind of example for Lucy. When she gets older, she will be respectful of other people (kids and adults) when we go out in public.

So, that pretty much sums up Lucy's first trip to the zoo! I think next time I'll take Daddy along for some back up.


At lunch Daddy tied my shirt into a dress for Lucy :) He's so talented.

1 comment:

Susan said...

When we met you and Lucy for lunch, I realized that I had forgotten Lucy's change of clothes, and felt really bad. But as she was laughing and showing off in Mommy's tank top, it was all worth it! Although an extra change of clothes will always be handy, some things in life are just priceless.

Some people are just all about themselves,and not giving any thought or consideration to others. And (unfortunate for some) children model their parent's behavior. "Mirror mirror on the wall..."