Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Of course I know who Kenny Loggins is!

G.I. Joe has been home now for about a week and a half. Its been an incredible time so far! Whether we've been going out on dates to the park he proposed to me in or staying at home to watch Lost DVD's we relish every second we have together. Small things seem so big and significant when you've lived apart for so long. Like yesterday...we put Lucy in the car and went to the chiropractor then to the grocery store. When we came home we both had some things to do. I started making dinner and he went out for a bit. I was half way through making the glaze for the lamb chops when G.I. Joe strolled through door carrying some of my favorite flowers, lilies. We finished cooking dinner together. I realize all that may seem a little boring, and certainly not blog-worthy, but to us its incredibly exciting. I hope we never get to a point where little stuff like that is not longer special.

There is a lot of adjustments that go on when you have had a homecoming. Everything is not always lilies and lamb chops. G.I. Joe and I are getting to know each other all over again. That can be frustrating at times. We have to learn new things about ourselves everyday. For example...


When driving somewhere he has a different road in mind to take than what I normally take.
I'm quite certain that my way is always quicker and I let him know that.
His concept of "quiet" is a little bit louder than mine.
After putting our heads together we can come up with a bedtime routine for Lucy that balances out the work load so one of us isn't doing everything alone.
I get nervous when I ask him to do something to help with Lucy and he does it differently than I normally do.
I think that G.I. Joe can read my mind. Or I at least act like he can.
He is the most wonderful husband in the world. If I need help, all I have to do is ask and he'll drop anything. The "asking for help" part is not something I'm good at, but I'm working on it.
G.I. Joe now knows I know who Kenny Loggins is...but it shocked me that he even had to ask.

The things in that list can be very difficult for couples to get through after reuniting. At times they can make you want to bang your head against a brick wall. We like to laugh at ourselves in those cases. The adjustment time will still be lingering on for a while. G.I. Joe is used to giving orders 18 hours a day and I'm used to having no one to "report" to. But we take each day in stride and develop patience with each other. Last week we bought the movie "Fireproof" and also "The Love Dare" that goes with it. We're anxious to watch the movie and start the devotional together. Instead of viewing each day as an obstacle or a mountain to climb we view it as an opportunity. Its our opportunity to glorify God for all He has brought us through, an opportunity to do something special for one another, and an opportunity to provide a stable loving home for Lucy.

We would love your prayers as we grow closer to each other and closer to God in this new chapter of our story!



3 comments:

Madison said...

This blog is so sweet. Never lose that excitement in the mundane. Denis and I still have that also, and its so sad to see couples get so caught up in life that they forget to notice each other. I am praying for you both during this adjustment period, and I know that everything will be wonderful :-)

Mary Jason and boys said...

Touching blog. I'm glad to know you're human afterall....lol. Jason (my hubby) also always has a different road to our destination and a different idea of "quiet". Kenny Loggins is a classic! I grew up listening to him! My mom is practically in love with him! :)

Annette said...

I just learned about the red envelopes on Sunday at church. I almost forgot about them.

What a time of adjustment for you guys...and such a blessed time!