Monday, December 22, 2008

Pachelbel at Christmas

When you do your holiday shopping this year you can often hear the Christmas version of Pachelbel's Canon in D echoing throughout the crowds. No matter where I am or what I'm doing when I hear that song I can't help but be reminded of how blessed my life is. Of course with me being the hopeless romantic I am the song usually brings tears to my eyes.

Out of all the events of my life I consider three to be the most defining: getting saved, getting married, and bringing Lucy into this world. In two days G.I. Joe and I will celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. I love the fact that I get to hear the Christmas Canon all month long before we celebrate! Like anything preformed by Trans-Siberian Orchestra it causes great anticipation to build. It makes me think of the anticipation leading up to our wedding day three years ago. I wasn't at all nervous, I was just so ready to marry G.I. Joe! If I close my eyes I feel like I'm back there again, standing outside the ballroom waiting with my Dad. The musicians started to play Canon in D. The doors opened. I took a breath in. G.I. Joe looked at me and I took my first step toward him. In that one chord, one breath, one look, and one step, our life began.


Haha...the photographer caught me giving this look to my made of honor. I was trying to say to her "I'M GETTING MARRIED! YIPPPPEEEEEEE!"
<span class=



We've been through more over the past few years than I could have ever imagined. We hoped and prayed G.I. Joe would be home from Iraq for our first anniversary but he missed it by 2 weeks. We've had to deal with being a family separated by long distances for 3 years straight now. All that has just strengthened our relationship with each other and with God. Even though we spend more time away from each other than what we would like, I am so thankful that with G.I. Joe's job God has kept him in His protection.

We are beyond blessed to be able to celebrate this anniversary and Christmas together. However, there are thousands of service members who will be spending "this very Christmas night" away from home in foreign lands and combat zones. Please visit this website, Let's Say Thanks. You can pick out a card design and write a personal message thanking a soldier for sacrificing time with his family at home so that America will stay safe and free. I am sending one right after I post this because we know first hand how difficult the holidays are in this situation and how blessed we are that G.I. Joe will be home now for 2 Christmases in a row.

http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html


2 comments:

The Chernik Family said...

I love Christmas Canon, it totally reminds me of my wedding day. I know exactly that feeling of being so ready to be married. No fear or trepidation, just pure excitement to live life together! I also totally agree with the three most important events in your life. Mine have been the same. Congrats to you on three years of wedded bliss!

Margaret said...

I agree with the three most important events:)

I love being married and I love that you're one of my few married friends. You're such a blessing! Thank you for being such a wonderful friend.

Congratulations on 3 wonderful years of marriage. May God continue to bless you and Michael.