Thursday, November 20, 2008

Long Overdue Update

posted on 07/11/2008


Hey everyone!
I really should have done this a while ago but we've had a crazy month! It started about 4 weeks ago when I began having braxton hicks contractions. These are totally normal in the late 2nd trimester through the 3rd. They are supposed to stay irregular and painless. Women are encouraged to call their doctor if they get more than 4 in one hour. Well, I would start having them at night and usually get double that amount. So one night when I called the on-call doctor she wanted me monitored for a while because of the number of contractions I was having. Mom and Dad took me to Labor and Delivery that night and we stayed there until the contractions slowed down. They got up to being 8 minutes apart. Since then I've been in and out of the doctor's office every week or two to be checked to make sure I'm not dilating and also to get a fetal fibronectin test done. These tests are used to determine the likelyhood of me going into labor within 2 weeks from the test date. I had one test two and a half weeks ago and that came back negative, which means the chances that I would go into labor would be only 2%. I had another test done Monday, since it had been more than two weeks and that also came back negative. On the 21st of this month I'll be back in the doctor's office to go through all this again.
During this time G.I.Joe was able to come home every weekend and we enjoyed getting to spend extra time together. He and Mom and Dad have been working very hard to get the house ready for Lucy's arrival while I finished the two classes I was taking and got plenty of rest. My doctor is still being very cautious. The contractions still come every day so its important for me to not over do it and to call them if there are any changes. This situation has made me worry quite a bit but I just remind myself that God is taking care of us and when Lucy comes she'll be fine. Each week we make it through is a big relief because she's just getting bigger and stronger. The great news is that through all of this Lucy is perfectly healthy. If she ends up coming 2-4 weeks before her due date she'll probably not have any complications. Its not likely that I'll go to my due date so we just want her to be healthy. That means I have to take it easy, which is hard for me to do! I'm sure I'm not the best patient because I want everything to be perfect for her when she comes. But I have so much support here at home from G.I.Joe and my parents and all of my family. We appreciate all of your prayers as we're in this final stage. Its hard to believe that our little Lucy could be here in less than 2 months!

No comments: